Practical Beekeeping for Beginners Class
Nine consecutive Wednesdays plus a field day
beginning in February 2016 from 7:00 — 9:00 pm
The Franklin Center, 50 Claiborne Ave., Rocky Mount, VA
You will learn about:
- The history of beekeeping
- The Best ways to acquire bees
- Life cycle of honeybees
- Seasonal colony management
- Equipment & supplies needed
- Assembly of hive components
- IPM techniques for managing pests and predators
- Hands-on establishment of new colonies
$90.00 Tuition includes:
- Classroom instruction
- 3 textbooks
- CD and Course notebook with lecture printouts & additional resources
- 1 year’s membership in Moonshine Beekeepers Association
- Field day for colony installation demo (exact date TBA)
Preregistration is required
Class size will be limited to 25 family units (spouse and/or children over 9 yrs)
The Moonshine Beekeepers Association is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to assisting current and future beekeepers of Franklin and surrounding counties in Virginia. Our Mission is to provide our membership with interesting and practical knowledge as well as promoting public awareness of the benefits, necessity, and value of the honeybee to human existence.
The purpose and objectives of our association are to:
- Share knowledge, experiences and adventures of beekeeping
- Educate the community about the joys, skills and benefits of beekeeping.
- Serve as a resource to local beekeepers.
- Provide an outlet for the membership to sell member-produced honey and other hive products.
- Foster interactions with the local agricultural community and other beekeeping organizations.
Lori Mattox – President
Ron Hanawalt- Vice President
Jim McKenna – Secretary
Dave Jeavons – Treasurer
Jeff Jenner – Beekeeping Instructor